Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kant and the Art of Visualisation

I often think of Kant's ideas of the sublime while I muse about Visualisation and Computer Graphics. In short, Sublime is the feeling when in the presence of something that invokes awe, and may be akin to religious experience. I spoke at MS Tech.Ed on the Gold Coast, Qld just this Tuesday about the same thing. Computer Graphics has a peculiar place in Computer Science, along with maybe Audio Signal Processing, in that we can create algorithms that have a direct emotional impact on the viewer.

I like to tell my Real-time Rendering Students at QUT that their job is to create imagery that evokes an enjoyable experience in the player/viewer.

BTW, just found a blog on Beautiful Visualisation. Go have a read, it looks good, maybe even sublime...

Ross

No comments: