Monday, April 27, 2009

Visualisation by Story Telling

Have just finished watching Battlestar Galactica, Season 4. Loved it. Have a soft spot for melodrama, and a good twisted plotline.

What has it to do with process modelling? Well, it struck me that a process model is a story, just like those used in entertainment programs such as BSG. It is the storyline of work performed within an organisation by people. Stories are also often described as people making choices, this choice making is another aspect of workflow.

So, can a story approach be applied to process visualisation? Humans have a long oral tradition in many societies of using story tellers to communicate information. The question the occurs to me, is whether a story is an engaging and easy to remember form of communication for educational purposes about processes.

I guess any teacher will tell you that a good story engages children. Have not read any information about whether this form is useful for technical information communication, so am speaking off the top of my head here. But, it is worth a thought, and I think I will return to this topic later.

Ross

No comments: